Sunday, December 15, 2013

Joyful Waiting

When I was little, we lived in southern Ontario, far from grandparents in MN.  Every other year my Grandpa and Grandma Breems would come to visit at Christmas.  There was so much excitement for their arrival.  We knew when they came there would hugs through thick, cold, winter coats, kisses and smiles, Christmas presents handed in to place under the tree and a big box of groceries to treat the family with exotic items like Bugles, orange jell-o, and Honeycomb cereal -- things out of budget for my parent's income at the time.

I would know ahead of time they were coming and as the weeks of advent passed and the Christmas tree was placed in it's stand and brightly strung, Christmas carols were sung in church and at programs, snow piled high, and the frost grew on the windows, I waited.  I waited in eager anticipation for their coming.  Every day I would ask how many more days before they arrived, and time seemed so slow.  I don't think I ever doubted they would come.  My parents said they were coming and I believed that, but the waiting felt like long-suffering in child time.

And then the day would arrive.  My mom would say, "they'll be here in the morning" and then, "in four hours, and then "2" and then "any time now", and then I would flop across the arm chair near the living room windows or sit by the heat register in front of the lower panes and press my nose into the frost, perhaps scrape a patch free to see through or clear it with my warm breath before watching the crystals re-form around the open circle.  "How much longer…."
"Any time now…."

A car would come to the corner and look as if they might proceed down our dead end block, and then turn, or proceed and turn too early in a neighbors driveway.  A sparrow would land in the bare bushes in front of the house hopping from branch to branch looking for berries and then dash away looking elsewhere.  A dog might lope across the yard leaving light tracks in the deepening snow and then a sudden lightness would ignite the top of my stomach, a thrill to shorten my breath and someone would yell out, "they're here! Grandpa and Grandma are here!!!"  And the rush to the entry to be the first to open the door, the first to yell out in pure joy, the first to hug tight and see Grandma's blue eyes glisten with happy tears and Grandpa's gentle smile.  All the waiting gone in a flash and only joy and delight in seeing one so longed for.  My stomach tightens with the remembrance of all of those feelings so long ago!

"Presentation of Jesus" by Ron DiCianni
In church this morning Pastor Dan preached about Simeon and Anna and how they waited to meet the promised Messiah.  In Luke Chapter 2 the Bible tells us that Simeon was a pretty great guy, and he had been told by the Holy Spirit that he would not die until he had seen the Christ.  We don't know how long he waited or how many times a day he dropped by the temple to check, but we do know he had been waiting a long time and could very well have been an old man.  So the chapter goes on to say that moved by the Spirit he goes into the temple courts and there he sees Jesus being presented by his parents.  He literally runs over there, takes the baby in his arms, shouts out a praise to God and prophesies blessing over his parents.  Jesus' parents "marveled"!

Can you imagine being told by God that you are waiting for the Messiah to come.  Unlike my grandparents visits, Simeon didn't even know when that time would be, but he waited, eagerly, nonetheless.  Imagine the day when he feels that stirring inside, he rushes to the temple searching past robed men and animals and there he catches a glimpse of the baby.  His heart confirms what his eyes are seeing and in a great dash he bursts out into joy, thanking God right out loud, runs over to the new family like he has known them forever, and snatches up the prize he has so waited for.  (How great would that moment have been!  (How freaked out would Jesus' parents have been?  But there was going to be more "out-of-the-ordinary being Jesus' parents…)


"Saint Simeon Nunc Dimittis" by André Durand


I think all of us who have longed or waited for something good can also can imagine the sweetness of that instant joy.  And so each year we practice that ritual of waiting and joy, waiting to celebrate Jesus' birth all over again.  At least I hope we do.  I hope it does not get squashed out by all the extra frivolity we have attached to his simple arrival.  I hope there is some space left for the simple expression of the heart where there is excitement and marveling at his gentle coming, a place where it feels our heart might not be able to take one more moment of anticipation and then the overwhelming JOY of his having come can overwhelm us.

We get to experience this kind of wait and joy cycle in many areas of our life.  Sometimes, the waiting part seems so very long.  There are days in our work here in Haiti, I wonder if the joy will ever follow the waiting.  When will the ache of hunger be released?  When will the grind of poverty be lightened?  So I wait with anticipation with all of creation and the people around me; I wait for joy.  And then I catch just a glimpse, as if through the crowd I see joy in the hearts of those who long for justice, I see praise in those who are bent low… and I wait for the moment of fullness, for ALL the joy to be released.

  All this, in turn, is jut a small practice of the greater wait we have for Jesus' return to reclaim all of creation!  In the Bible we are told we don't know the exact time he will return, only that he will and that it will be "soon".  And as I strain for just a glimpse because I know he is just a few steps away…

 So I'm putting my tree up, going to programs, celebrating his return, and waiting very near the window.  I might even scratch in the frost and feel the deep excitement in my breath as a wait for his return during this season of advent waiting… Maranatha (Christ come quickly)!


No comments:

Post a Comment