Friday, June 8, 2012

Pass the Salt, Please

This past Sunday was our first "fund-raising Sunday".  We had the opportunity to share about our plans and how we believe God is leading us to Haiti, at Willmar Christian Reformed Church where Kirk is employed as Youth Pastor.  (Technically he is employed by both Willmar CRC and Unity CRC in Prinsburg, but the youth facility is in Willmar.)  I was able to share with the church how sometimes when we keep ourselves comfortably rooted in one place, believing we are "doing our part" or being self-satisfied with our own religiosity, God may nudge us to grow, as he has with me. 

Oh how I have loved my convenient life here in rural MN, in the heartland of the wealthiest nation on earth -- a magical world where grocery lines are short, roads are smooth and wide as I ride in my choice of two vehicles, my house has cushioned floors, my clothes bear the scent of spring rain, and the temperature of my home is effortlessly controlled for comfort.  I live in a neighborhood where young children roam freely without fear and their greatest sadness is bidding farewell to a lumpy pet toad.  Women pin clothes under clear skies by 7 AM and the aroma of fresh-baked goodness wafts from sparkling windows.  The music of birdsong is like that of a forest preserve and a rumble of thunder is the only noise to break night's silent blanket of peace. 

"Women pin clothes under clear skies by 7 AM and the aroma of fresh-baked goodness wafts from sparkling windows. The music of birdsong is like that of a forest preserve and a rumble of thunder is the only noise to break night's silent blanket of peace."

This too-good-to-be-true image, is in fact, part of my actual life.  Of course, I occasionally get an inept cashier, I have to vacuum my comfortable carpets,  my vehicles' total worth is around  $4,000 and not entirely reliable, and sun-bleached laundry sometimes gets pooped on, but the reality is, my life is cushy!  Even with the deep challenges I have faced within our family unit during the last year, I practically live in nirvana!  Oh there are people with needs not too far from the outskirts of my peaceful kingdom, but it takes effort to mingle with those outsiders.  My day to day is filled with maintaining my castle and grounds, and rubbing shoulders with the local aristocracy.  It's all very convenient.

I have noticed that like schools of fish, we, and I mean, "we Christians", tend to stay in safe groups with notions of "protecting our children" (and maybe ourselves) from the dangers of worldly influences, and we keep the messiness of the outside at arm's length. In our comfortable homes with tidy yards we remain safely numb to real need. 

Now let me be clear that I love my community and the people of it -- so many are good, honest, loving, giving people.  I have personally been the recipient of grace, generosity, and earnest prayer from these folks, and have grown in faith and maturity while experiencing fellowship with many of these people.

Kirk has challenged me with this: how do I act as the salt and light Jesus talks about in Matthew 5 when I'm so close to all this other great seasoning?  Isn't it kind of selfish of me to enjoy all this flavoring to myself and not use it as Jesus talks about when he said we're "to be the salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth"?  How does where I live and who I rub shoulders with affect my ability to bring the "God-flavors" to those who haven't yet experienced Him?  Am I running the risk of losing my saltiness and being worthy of nothing more than the garbage?

So this is how I started to feel stretched, how I began to feel my roots crowding, and how I started to attend to God's patient beckoning and the hunger he was growing inside of me. With all these thoughts as the background for our decision to move, I tried to hand my pride over to the Lord (again) and told the church we needed their financial partnership to make this thing happen, and asked for prayer. 

Following the church service there was a potluck dinner.  While Kirk and I were sitting talking with our table mates, this guy walks up to Kirk and said, "hey, if we want to give something to your Haiti thing, how do we do it?  Can I just give it to you?"  I had never seen the man before.  Kirk told him we would get the money to the right place and accepted a small bundle of bills.  He asked if the man wanted a tax donation receipt, but he said, "no", and wished us God's blessings on our plans.  I said thanks, asked the man his name, and, I'm embarrassed to say, promptly forgot nearly as soon as he away.  I assumed it was a little wad of 1's, and in my heart said a quick thanks -- thanks for how this small gift was again confirmation of God's blessing over our endeavor. 

Later that afternoon, I overheard Kirk saying something to the boys about a cool thing happening today - that a man had come up to him after church and given $140.00  How cool is that? Not just a little bundle of 1's but a bundle of 20's -- $140.00! 

Once again, God teaches me not to underestimate his ability and desire to provide for all I need and more.  Success is not dependant on me and all that I have to offer.  It is all about him and what he has to offer.  He takes joy in inviting me to be a part of his amazing plan and gives joy when I participate in it.  He allowed a "stranger" in on it to bless us beyond the dollars, and will use me, too for building his kingdom, encouraging his people, and being the God-flavoring in places that need to taste godliness. 

How might God be asking you to express your salt-seasoning and light?  It might involve some stretching... and some joy.

_________________________________________________________

Matthew 5:13-16
The Message (MSG)
Salt and Light
13"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. 14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."

No comments:

Post a Comment